Just kidding, there are tons! Although I don’t know any of them personally, I know they are out there. Just look how many Nebraska vegan hashtags there are!
I also know and have met lots of people who were vegan or vegetarian for a while, but “just couldn’t do it.”
I would like to help prevent people giving up on a plant based diet. Yes it can be hard at first, but with a little practice and research it can become the best decision you ever made.
Here are my first 4 tips to get you started:
- Watch the Peta videos. I know they are awful, but you need to see them. This was one of the hardest parts for me, but also the most helpful. Any time you start to waver, think of what you saw the animals going through and how awful their lives are whether they are dairy cows, egg laying chickens, or raised for their meat.
- Social media. Find the instagram accounts, the Facebook pages, and the tweeters. Looking to people who have done this for a while can help. I felt so alone at first, but immediately I started feeling the love from the vegan community. So many people are so supportive. To absolute strangers!
- Unless you are one of those, loves-to-argue types don’t go lecturing everyone you see. Growing up in the beef-fed state, I learned this the hard way. It’s exhausting. When people feel attacked they attack back.
- Be. Prepared. For. Jokes. “But bacon.” If you get upset at every stupid joke about veganism you either won’t make it as a vegan, or you will have high blood pressure. Learning to shake it off was the most important thing I learned in the first 6 months.
- One extra tip, not for veganism but for life: spend more time with dogs. Or cats. Or both.